Mr. Arul began his teaching career at Richlands High School in Onslow County, NC from 2009-2011. He joined WCPSS and the Panther Creek High School science department in August 2011. He received a B.S. Science Education degree with a concentration in Chemistry from East Carolina University (Greenville, NC) in 2009.
Mr. Arul's achievements include:
- 2009 Science Education Student Teacher-of-the-Year Award (ECU)
- 2009 Latham Award for Excellence in Teaching: Secondary Education (ECU)
- 2009 Outstanding High School Student Teaching Award (NCSTA)
- 2010 Beginning Teacher-of-the-Year Award (Onslow County Schools)
- Featured in The Daily News for Teacher of the Year (Jacksonville, NC)
- Featured in Winter 2011 edition of East Magazine: The Magazine of East Carolina for ECU Best in Three Benchmarks (ECU)
Mr. Arul was born in the jungles of Cambodia and lived in the jungle until the age of 6 1/2, subsequently immigrating to the U.S. Mr. Arul is the oldest of three siblings and enjoys listening to music, working out, long hikes in the mountains, and beach camping. He spends his free time outdoors seeking any and all opportunities of an adventure, riding his bike, staying active in sports, and being in the company of friends and family. He is also an avid UNC Tar Heels fan.